Tuesday, October 08, 2013

59 km Run-Walk on my 59th Birthday




The other day, I celebrated my 59th birthday by running-walking 59 km from Baclaran to Antipolo and back. It took 10 hours and 53 minutes. What was strange was I wasn't exhausted, in fact I felt energized even after finishing. The last time I did an ultra-run/walk was over two years ago when I journeyed on foot across the Philippines. Last month after asking myself how I would like to celebrate my birthday, the crazy idea entered my mind that I should run-walk the equivalent of my age in km. I only had over three weeks of serious training. Last week after running/walking 32 km, I felt that I was ready for this. So last Sunday, I was able to prove to myself that even as I grow older I can still do this. Next year, I plan to this again - run/walk for 60 kilometers to celebrate my dual citizenship - Filipino and senior citizen. How long can I keep this up? I hope another 30 to 40 years. Perhaps, more walking and less running as I reach 90 years old.

What I did was a reminder that my life is a journey and I am a pilgrim. I try to overcome the limitations of ageing.

1 comment:

ksam said...

You are always an inspiration Father! Thanks for giving me another nudge towards one of my goals, another marathon. God willing, feet healed and I'll try again! You make me feel it is possible! Thanks :-)